Multipurpose Moisture Barrier
Long lasting protection. Temporarily relieves discomfort and itching. Cost effective. Protects and helps heal skin irritations from:
- Incontinence of Urine or Diarrhea
- Feeding Tube Site Leakage
- Diaper rash in full term infants through adults
- Wound Drainage
- Protection for peri-wound skin
- Minor Cuts & Scrapes
- Burns / Irradiated Skin
- Fecal or vaginal fistulas
- Skin protection around feeding and drainage tube sites
- Pain and itch relief in lymphedema and venous stasis conditions
Calmoseptine was created over 80 years ago by a pharmacist as a diaper rash ointment for infants. Since that time Calmoseptine has been found to help alleviate the symptoms of many different conditions. Calmoseptine is available in a tube and a jar but the contents are all the same, the different containers are just personal preference. The tubes are 4 ounces and the jar is 2.5 ounces. It is a skin barrier ointment that is available over the counter, without a prescription, from online medical supply companies and brick and mortar pharmacies. A skin protectant or skin barrier ointment is a product that temporarily protects injured or exposed skin surfaces from harmful irritants while providing relief to the area in question.
Calmoseptine is a moisture barrier ointment that provides a physical moisture barrier to protect intact as well as injured skin from direct contact with feces, urine, and wound drainage. Calmoseptine acts as a “counter-irritant” and temporarily relieves the discomfort that is associated with rashes, eczema, insect bites, poison ivy, oak, and sumac. The menthol in Calmoseptine has been shown to increase circulation to an area which can help in healing. Calmoseptine is also a mild antiseptic which can help prevent secondary bacterial or fungal infections which means it fits right into your collection of first aid supplies. This is not a one use product, it is handy to have on hand not just because it works but because you can use it for a long list of concerns.
The ingredients in Calmoseptine help to balance the moisture balance of the skin so it protects the skin from outside irritants while also helping the skin not dry out. It can be used to treat minor burns, cuts, scrapes, itching and redness, as well as stage 1 ulcers. Calmoseptine works in a variety of situations and it is easy to learn how to apply Calmoseptine depending on why and where you are using it.
Available in: 4 oz Tubes, 2.5 oz Tubes, 2.5 oz Jars, 20g Tubes and 1/8 oz Packet
Remarkable results in just over 48 hours.
calamine, chlorothymol, glycerin, lanolin, phenol, Uses: sodium bicarbonate, and thymol in a suitable ointment base.
- Cleanse skin gently with mild skin cleanser . Pat dry or air dry.
- Apply a thin layer of Calmoseptine Ointment to reddened or irritated skin 2-4 times daily, or after each incontinent episode or diaper change to promote comfort, and long lasting protection. (If Calmoseptine Ointment residue remains on irritated skin after gentle cleansing, it is recommended to leave the residue on the skin and apply an additional layer as needed until the skin is healed.) Calmoseptine Ointment is easily removed with baby oil or mineral oil when necessary.
Encourage basic concepts of skin care
- Keep skin clean, moisturized and dry.
- Adequate “pressure relief” for bedridden and wheelchair bound patients.
- Assessment and monitoring of nutritional status by a dietitian.
- Adequate fluid intake (6-8 glasses of waterdaily).
- Consultation by an ET Nurse (Enterostomal Therapist) or skinspecialist.
- Protect yourself and the patient by observing universal blood and body fluid precautions.