Multipurpose Moisture Barrier
Long lasting protection. Temporarily relieves discomfort and itching. Cost effective. Protects and helps heal skin irritations from:
- Incontinence of Urine or Diarrhea
- Feeding Tube Site Leakage
- Diaper rash in full term infants through adults
- Wound Drainage
- Protection for peri-wound skin
- Minor Cuts & Scrapes
- Burns / Irradiated Skin
- Fecal or vaginal fistulas
- Skin protection around feeding and drainage tube sites
- Pain and itch relief in lymphedema and venous stasis conditions
Calmoseptine was created over 80 years ago by a pharmacist as a diaper rash ointment for infants. Since that time Calmoseptine has been found to help alleviate the symptoms of many different conditions. Calmoseptine is available in a tube and a jar but the contents are all the same, the different containers are just personal preference. The tubes are 4 ounces and the jar is 2.5 ounces. It is a skin barrier ointment that is available over the counter, without a prescription, from online medical supply companies and brick and mortar pharmacies. A skin protectant or skin barrier ointment is a product that temporarily protects injured or exposed skin surfaces from harmful irritants while providing relief to the area in question.
Calmoseptine is a moisture barrier ointment that provides a physical moisture barrier to protect intact as well as injured skin from direct contact with feces, urine, and wound drainage. Calmoseptine acts as a “counter-irritant” and temporarily relieves the discomfort that is associated with rashes, eczema, insect bites, poison ivy, oak, and sumac. The menthol in Calmoseptine has been shown to increase circulation to an area which can help in healing. Calmoseptine is also a mild antiseptic which can help prevent secondary bacterial or fungal infections which means it fits right into your collection of first aid supplies. This is not a one use product, it is handy to have on hand not just because it works but because you can use it for a long list of concerns.
The ingredients in Calmoseptine help to balance the moisture balance of the skin so it protects the skin from outside irritants while also helping the skin not dry out. It can be used to treat minor burns, cuts, scrapes, itching and redness, as well as stage 1 ulcers. Calmoseptine works in a variety of situations and it is easy to learn how to apply Calmoseptine depending on why and where you are using it.
Available in: 4 oz Tubes, 2.5 oz Tubes, 2.5 oz Jars, 20g Tubes and 1/8 oz Packet
Remarkable results in just over 48 hours.
calamine, chlorothymol, glycerin, lanolin, phenol, Uses: sodium bicarbonate, and thymol in a suitable ointment base.
- Cleanse skin gently with mild skin cleanser . Pat dry or air dry.
- Apply a thin layer of Calmoseptine Ointment to reddened or irritated skin 2-4 times daily, or after each incontinent episode or diaper change to promote comfort, and long lasting protection. (If Calmoseptine Ointment residue remains on irritated skin after gentle cleansing, it is recommended to leave the residue on the skin and apply an additional layer as needed until the skin is healed.) Calmoseptine Ointment is easily removed with baby oil or mineral oil when necessary.
Encourage basic concepts of skin care
- Keep skin clean, moisturized and dry.
- Adequate “pressure relief” for bedridden and wheelchair bound patients.
- Assessment and monitoring of nutritional status by a dietitian.
- Adequate fluid intake (6-8 glasses of waterdaily).
- Consultation by an ET Nurse (Enterostomal Therapist) or skinspecialist.
- Protect yourself and the patient by observing universal blood and body fluid precautions.
Calmoseptine Ointment is approved by the FDA for use as a skin protecting drug.
The FDA defines a skin protecting drug product as a product that temporarily protects injured or exposed skin or mucous membrane surfaces from harmful or annoying stimuli and may provide relief to such surfaces.
The ingredients in Calmoseptine Ointment
- Provide a physical moisture barrier, keeping feces, urine and wound drainage from intact and injured skin.
- Act as a counter-irritant, and temporarily relieve discomfort and itching from rashes, eczema, insect bites, and contact dermatitis such as poison ivy, oak and sumac.
- Menthol has been shown to cause vasodilation. This may increase circulation to an area and aid in healing.
- Mild antiseptic ingredients may help prevent secondary bacterial and fungal infections of the skin.
Uses for Calmoseptine Ointment Moisture Barrier Ointment
Calmoseptine Ointment was originally developed by a pharmacist for use as a diaper rash ointment for infants.Since its introduction 80 years ago, many other uses have been found. The following list has been compiled from feedback from doctors, nurses and other health care professionals who have used Calmoseptine Ointment.
- Diaper Rash in Full-Term Infants through Adults
- Skin Protection in Incontinent Adults
- Relieves Pain and Helps Promote Healing
- Skin Protection around Feeding and Drainage Tube Sites
- Protection for Peri-wound Skin
- Pain and Itch Relief in Lymphedema and Venous Stasis conditions – Calmoseptine Ointment can be used under compression therapy
- Stage 1 Pressure Ulcers
- Minor Burns, Cuts, Scrapes
- Skin Folds, other moist areas subject to fungal infections
- Perianal Soreness and Dermatitis
- Insect Bites
- Eczema and Psoriasis
- Contact Dermatitis including Poison Oak and Poison Ivy
- Rectal Itch, Hemorrhoids, Anal Fissures
- Perianal Protection with Ileoanal Reservoirs (J-pouches)
An OTC product ised and recommended by Pediatricians, Family Physicians, Colorectal Surgeons, Gastroenterologists, Podiatrists, Dermatologists, Oncologists, WOCNs, NPs, PAs, Hospitals, Clinics, Nursing Homes, Hospices & Palliative Care Facilities, Home Care Practitioners, and Veterinarians.
Please read label on product packaging. External use only.read more
Calmoseptine Ointment is a multipurpose, moisture barrier ointment. It is over-the counter and does not require a prescription to obtain. It was originally developed by a pharmacist as a diaper rash ointment but, over time, has been found to be effective for a number of conditions.
How does Calmoseptine work so well?
Calmoseptine Ointment acts as a barrier to protect skin from moisture and irritating substances. This barrier function also helps protect the skin from drying out. In addition it has ingredients that help to draw moisture away from too moist or inflamed areas. Thus, it helps to maintain a healthy moisture balance for your skin.
Can I use it on my baby?
Calmoseptine Ointment was originally developed for use on infants. We do not recommend that it be used on premature newborns.
How often should I use Calmoseptine?
In adults and children Calmoseptine Ointment can be used as often as needed to provide protection and relief. On newborn infants under a month (neonates), we recommend using it only 4 times a day and not to cover more than 1/8th of the body.
How much should I use each time?
It only takes a thin layer for Calmoseptine to be effective. In most cases, using too much will not cause any problems but it can be messy. Under ostomy appliances only a very small amount should be used and it must be rubbed in well or the wafer will not adhere.
I have allergies. Can I use your ointment?
We have had very few reports of allergic reactions to Calmoseptine Ointment. Calmoseptine does not contain Latex or any “food products” such as nut, nut oils, wheat, gluten, fish oils or dairy derivatives. People with allergies to Lanolin or Menthol may react to Calmoseptine.
Where can I safely use Calmoseptine Ointment?
Calmoseptine Ointment was formulated for use on intact or mildly damaged skin. We do not recommend using it in deep wounds nor on mucous membranes. However, many people have used it without problems on skin transitional areas, close to mucous membranes. These include on the lips, around the anus and around the vaginal opening in women. Calmoseptine Ointment should not be used in or around the eyes.
Where can I buy Calmoseptine Ointment?
Any pharmacy can obtain Calmoseptine Ointment through their usual distributors, but it is unlikely that you will find us on the shelves. Often the pharmacy will have Calmoseptine Ointment behind the counter or they will special order it for you.
You can buy it online from this page.
Calmoseptine Tube, 4Oz
$7.11Buy from Amazon
Calmoseptine -2.5 Oz, 3 pack
$17.61 Buy from Amazon